We can read the account of “Akeidah” and see Abraham’s test of faith AND a startling prophecy of our Master Y’shua. The story of Avraham offering Isaac as a sacrifice is a vivid portrayal of how the Savior offered His life and was later resurrected. Avraham offered his only son. YHWH did the same with Y’shua. Isaac carried the wood for the sacrifice. Y’shua carried the wood of His sacrifice. The similarities go on and on to show us the Almighty’s plan of the ages. The enemy didn’t surprise YHWH when he plotted to have Y’shua nailed to the tree. This plan was already set as Y’shua is the “lamb slain from the foundation of the earth.” So, if the prophetic death of Y’shua is so clear to us, why is it so difficult for others to see? Why is it that many Jewish people never consider the similarities between the Akeidah and the sacrifice of Y’shua?
Avraham and Isaac
Y’shua’s Death and Resurrection
Avraham offered his only son (Genesis 22:2-12).
YHWH provided a male, Y’shua, as a substitutionary sacrifice.
Abraham believed that YHWH would raise Isaac from the dead (Hebrews 11:19).
YHWH raised Y’shua from the dead (1 Corinthians 15:20-23).
- What does the Hebrew name of this Torah portion mean?
- Read the Haftarah portion of 2 Kings 4:1-37. How does this relate to this week’s Torah portion?
- Read the Newer Testament sections of Luke 1:26-38, 24:36-53. Why were these passages chosen to correspond to this week’s reading? What did you learn from these words?
- Who were the three people that met Avraham in Genesis 18?
- How did Avraham greet his visitors and show hospitality?
- Avraham prepared milk and meat for his guests. Later the Torah says not to “boil a kid in its mother’s milk” (Exodus 23:19.) Did Avraham violate the Torah? Is eating a cheeseburger wrong?
- Avraham’s son was named Isaac or “Yitzchak” in Hebrew. What does this name mean?
- YHWH doesn’t automatically destroy Sodom and Gomorrah because of their sin. The cry of their sinful ways reached the ears of Heaven and YHWH sent messengers to the city. How does this show YHWH’s mercy?
- Did Avraham overstep his relationship with YHWH when he pleaded with the Almighty not to destroy the city? Even Abe said “I am but dust and ashes.”
- How was Avraham’s negotiations with YHWH for the cities similar to Moshe’s pleading for Israel in Deuteronomy 9:13-14?
- What does in mean in Genesis 19 when the Torah says that Lot “sat at the gate of Sodom”?
- Why would Lot pressure the two messengers to stay in his home and not in the streets of Sodom?
- What food did Lot and the messengers eat the night of Sodom’s destruction? What could this be symbolic of?
- Where 10 righteous people found in the city of Sodom or Gomorrah?
- Did YHWH destroy Sodom and Gomorrah because of their sinfulness or because YHWH could not find a remnant of righteousness in the towns? Is there a difference?
- A famous television evangelist once said that "If God doesn't destroy the USA, he owes an apology to Sodom and Gomorrah." Do you agree? Isn’t there more than 10 righteous people in America?
- Lot’s wife looked back towards the destruction. How does this compare to Luke 9:62 when Y’shua said, “No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of YHWH”?
- The daughters of Lot thought they were the only people left in the world. They seduced their father to preserve his seed and the human blood line. Did Lot’s daughter’s sin? Would Lot have laid with his daughters if he had not been drunk?
- The Moabites and the Amorites descended from Lot’s daughter’s relationship with their father. Who were these people?
- Again, Avraham tells Sarah to answer the authorities that she is his sister. Was this wrong?
- A type of plague came upon the kind who took Sarah into his home even though he did not have relations with her. Why? What was in the heart of the king?
- In Genesis 20:18, the king refers to Avraham as a prophet or “navi” in Hebrew. What does this mean?
- Avraham reveals that Sarah is the daughter of his father but not his mother. When Sarah said she was Abe’s sister, was she telling the whole truth? When is it permissible to only reveal partial truth?
- How old was Isaac/Yitzchak when Avraham circumcised him? Why?
- In Genesis 21:18 YHWH promises to make a nation of Ishmael. Why? Who are these people today?
- When Hagar is cast out, she puts Ishmael under a tree and prepares to die. YHWH hears her prayers and answers her. Ishmael is saved. Was this part of YHWH’s plan?
- What is the meaning of the covenant made between Avraham and Avimelech that was made at Bersheva? Where is Beersheva today?
- Genesis 22 states that YHWH tested Avraham? How many times was Abe tested? Can you name at least 10 tests of his faith?
- Explain how the binding of Isaac was prophetic of the death, burial, and resurrection of Messiah Y’shua.
- On what mountain was Isaac offered? Why is this important?
- “Avraham rose very early in the morning” to obey YHWH’s directions to sacrifice his own son. Do you obey YHWH with a willing heart?
- The place where YHWH provided a ram in place of Isaac was called “YHWH Yireh” by Avraham. What does this mean to you? How has YHWH provided supernaturally for you?
- Read and pray the Akeidah prayers below to grow your relationship with YHWH.